Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Catfish (cont.)

Now the way it was told to me, Millwood was rowing and grandpa was getting all the lines and bait and stuff together. On the other side of the lake warn't no houses or nothing, just trees. Now over there we got doctors and lawyers. One of them lawyers sued a big drug company and won about forty million dollars for himself. My cousin May Margaret was in on that deal and she told me all she got was a check for forty-two dollars. Anyway, they got to the middle of the lake and had to stop for a cool drink. They always drank a little beer when they was in the middle of the lake because both my grandmother and Millwood's wife was teetotalers. They attended different churches together but that didn't matter cause they all was against drinking. I used to take a drink now and then, but now I don't. You see it's my idea of the right thing. Ain't got no woman riding me about it. Now let's see where was I. Oh, yeah. Grandfather and Millwood got to the spot they was looking for and put they lines out and was both just sitting there riding out the blessings of the day and that's when all heck broke loose.

Hollis: continued tomorrow. Now reading: The Postman Always Rings Twice by James M. Cain

No comments:

Post a Comment