Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Settling Down

I guess y'all can tell it takes Hollis a lot longer to tell a story than it take me to. He's a good boy and as you can see he writes down what I tell him to, even this. Maybe his words are prettier than mine you'll have to judge that. Here he goes.

                      How Grandfather Whitmire Came to Stay in Harper (cont.)

       Six months later he remained in the employment of the Illinois Central Railroad, loading baggage on and off passenger trains. In a town named Harper, located almost halfway between Jackson, Mississippi and New Orleans, he took up citizenship. He met a girl. In her he felt some of the same fascination he had experienced on the road. One night, being particularly vulnerable to the effect of the stars, he told her he loved her and could not live without her and wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. Perhaps she saw no better opportunity or maybe she too was driven by the stars. She said yes. They were married within two weeks.

Tomorrow: Holding on to a Life

Hollis' funny names:
Crystal Ball knows all about you
Mona Anasquilla has an Italian lover

2 comments:

  1. I tried, and then I let it rest, then I tried again. I still don't get "Mona Anasquilla has an Italian lover." Please explain for the pundicapped public.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just got it. the i is a very long i sort of like eeeeeee

    ReplyDelete