Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Renewed Confidence

Hollis has promised me he will finish up tomorrow. I am glad to share with him since he does all the computer stuff for me, but I want to get on with my story about the murder we had here in Harper way back when. Went fishing with Father O'Doole today. I'm telling you he really wants me to get back in his church.

                         How Grandfather Whitmire Came to Stay in Harper (cont.)

       One night they were sitting in the front porch swing, his arm around her shoulder, talking about nothing in particular. The moon forced its way through a low, thick cloud and the darkness around them was transformed into a world of vague colors. She reached for his hand and took it to her lap. They sat motionless in the swing, neither speaking.
       After a while, she stood and turned toward him, gazing deep into his eyes. He had not spoken his feeling for her in many years, but tonight his look and touch gave her a renewed confidence. As was their habit, she went in to bed, and left him to his adoration of the night.

Tomorrow: Resolution

Hollis' funny names:
Y. O. Ming is out west
Perry A. Waters is effervescent

No comments:

Post a Comment