Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Doctor talks to Wilkie

I could tell right off things warn't any too good by the way that city doctor looked when he walked in. He looked like he had just sucked a dozen lemons. Betty Faye was sitting there knitting or something. The doctor walked over to Wilkie, who was gray as grandma's hair. The doctor took Wilkie's hand and looked into his yellow eyes. He said Mr. Whitmire do you want a preacher or a priest? Betty Faye commenced to crying. I mean bawling. Wilkie sat up in the bed. Hush up, Betty Faye, I'll handle this he said. Look here Doctor What-ever-your-name-is, I don't want no preacher and I don't want no priest. I don't want to go to heaven and I don't want to go to hell. I want to go back to Harper, Mississippi. The doctor turned to Betty Faye and said I think he's gonna be alright.
And he was. Wilkie is over at the filling station right now, healthy as ever. If you come to Harper you can see him and he'll tell you. But don't be planning to stay too long. Like I said before we got enough here as it is.
Now that ain't the end of the story. Tomorrow I'll tell about Wilkie and old Doctor Biltwright.

No comments:

Post a Comment