Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, August 9, 2013

An Adventurous Ride

I guess I'm an optimist since I call our journey to our motel at Dallas/Fort Worth Airport an adventure. A pessimist would name it a dangerous trek. Dorothy and I used the GPS on our iPhones to guide our way across Texas with much success; only a few redirects. However, with all the construction on the highway to the airport and our motel we had great difficulty. When we were directed to take a particular exit or turn we found the exit closed and were sent a mile forward with instructions to make a u-turn and go back the way we came. When we got to that exit it was also closed. I got the feeling even the GPS was getting frustrated because the voice got more high-pitched and kinda quivery. After about an hour of going in a circle we finally made a decision to get off the expressway and try our luck on surface roads. Again we were sent in a loop and finally ended up with the instruction, "Prepare to park your car and walk the remaining distance." At that point we took a right and spotted a motel (not the one where we had a reservation.) Dorothy had a good suggestion. She thought we should get a room there and cancel our reservation at the first motel. I went in and the young woman behind the counter saw the look of frustration on my face and immediately handed me two bottles of water. I told her our story and she assured me many people were having the same problem. When I told her where we were supposed to stay she informed me that motel was directly behind the place where we were; kinda hidden doncha know? She said we did not even have to leave the parking lot. I told her how much we appreciated it and offered to stay there and cancel the first reservation. She said it would be better for me to honor our commitment and just drop by for dinner at her establishment. We did and I must say we had a real nice meal in a relaxed setting.
Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment