Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Witty vs. Silly

Years ago one of my kids told me that only about one thing out of ten that I said was witty while nine of them were silly. He said I should use my "filter" and weed out the silly ones. I thought it over and realized that I already did that. And that meant only one thing out a hundred things I thought of was witty, in the combined view of myself and my son.
One of the problems with being witty is only a small percent of the people you talk to will "get it." Whereas most people will "get" silly whether they think it's funny or not.
Thus I decided years ago not to worry about it. I just put things out there and people either laugh at me or laugh with me. The difference in these two situations has become less important to me as time goes by.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment