Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, August 19, 2013

Marry Up

My mother told me when I was a teenager and started to chase girls that a man should always marry someone who was better than he was. She figured a woman has more influence on a man's behavior than the other way around. And I followed her advice in three of my marriages and in one of them not so much. I reckon three out of four is pretty good. My last marriage, to Dorothy, makes my mother's advice seem particularly correct. Dorothy is definitely better than me in 'most every way. She is better looking, more logical, better organized, and certainly more intelligent than I ever hope to be. And she has absolutely no ambition to pull me up to her standards. I asked her one time how she managed to avoid judging and nagging while my other wives were hellbent on making me more like them. Dorothy said, "It would be like sitting on the sofa watching a funny, well written sitcom and rewriting the plot."
She said it would bust up the enjoyment of the show if you were hard at work while viewing it. See how smart she is?


Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment