Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Saturday, August 24, 2013

Breakfast Memories

When I was a boy back in the late thirties we would visit my daddy's brother down in Louisiana several times a year. One of the things I remember most was the breakfast my aunt served. Fried eggs were presented on a platter, grits in a big bowl, bacon and sausage piled on a large plate. The sound of coffee spurting up in a couple of old percolators was our breakfast music. The thing my daddy liked best was Auntie's biscuits. They were large and flaky and were brought to the table directly from the oven. Butter was in a large block and the cream was so heavy it would not fall off the spoon no matter how hard you shook. We open our biscuits and piled on butter then the heavy cream and watched as the molasses slowly dropped on to the top of our concoction. Fortunately for my daddy and me my mother's breakfast was devoid of the fatty cream. I reckon that's one of the reasons I have lived into my 80's while all my uncles on my daddy's side barely made it into their seventies. My aunt's breakfast sure was good though.



Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

1 comment:

  1. I'm am salivating. This sounds so good. Some white gravy for the biscuits. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete