Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bad Luck Bledslo

We got this fellow her in Harper that we call Bad Luck Bledslo. His real name is Sagamore Bledslo and he is a seller of things. I say things because every time I see him he's selling something different. Well, Sagamore came into the cafe this morning all wet and disheveled and was talking real fast about how bad his luck on the way in. Here's a little of what he said:

"I run out of gas. Meant to fill up yesterday but got distracted by this song on the radio that put me in mind of a high school dance I went to. Anyway I forgot. Then I realized I had left my cell phone on the kitchen table. I took it out of my pocket because it kept falling out while I was bending over picking up the Cheerios off the floor. I was trying to carry the cereal, my coffee, the milk, and my bowl of fruit out to the porch to eat out there when I dropped the box that I had open in advance of getting to the table. I decided to cut across Bill Meadowburg's field, the one where he keeps his big bull, in hopes that old Ferdinand was put up in the barn. Wrong. Here come that black monster and I barely escaped. He did nip me with his horns and tore my pants. I was wearing my suit pants because I forgot to put my regular every day pants in the wash. After I got over the fence I wasn't looking where I was going 'cause that song I heard yesterday kept coming back on me and I was looking up at the clouds trying to make out images to go along with the music. That's when I stepped in that mud puddle and had to take off my shoes and socks on one foot. I stepped on this board with a nail in it and took off my other sock to stop the bleeding. Now I've got to get another tetanus shot soon as I eat my breakfast. Dorothy, fix me four eggs, six strips of bacon, two biscuits with lots of butter, hash browns, and a cup of dark roast coffee. Damn, I forgot to take my cholesterol pill this morning."


Tales of Harper, short stories and poems about the fictional town of Harper, Mississippi is available on Amazon Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment