Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering Pearl Harbor

Ain't it funny how you can remember where you was and what you was doing when something real big in history come off? That's where I am with Pearl Harbor. I were about nine year old and was walking around in my grandpa's yard out under his big magnolia tree. Grandma had the radio, a gigantic Philco what were in the living room, turned up to the highest so she could finish her kitchen work after a big Sunday dinner. I even remembers we had fried chicken that day, what ain't no big thing to remember 'cause we always had fried chicken on Sundays. They had a radio show coming from New York or somewhere up there and they was playing what I called Waa-Waa music, like Sammy Kaye and Guy Lombardo, doncha know? And that's when they broke into the music and told the story of Pearl Harbor being bombed by Japanese planes. I went running into the house 'cause my uncle were stationed in Hawaii and were in a Army Air Force base right close to Pearl Harbor. Grandma were crying and Grandpa were sitting there gritting his false teeth. Turned out my uncle were okay and when he come home he brought with him a Hawaiian bride and a Hawaiian baby. This ain't got nothing to do with my story, but we got a woman here in Harper what are named Pearl Harper. Just thought you might want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment