Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Isolated Showers

Peoples round here been praying for rain. Just think about it. Less than 60 miles west they are praying for the flood waters to go away. And we dry as a bone. Well today it did rain. Some. We need a lots more, but we is happy for what we did get. Reminds me of old Scoot Nixon, a farmer out in the country from here. Scoot were what we called a poor dirt farmer. As far as I know his shadow never crossed a school room door. But he knowed how to raise cotton, so he made a good enough living just doing that. Now back when television were new and peoples had to erect a television aerial way up in the air just to get a snowy signal, Scoot were visiting his daughter and seen TV for the first time. Back then they had this weather man we all called Woody who stayed on the air for almost a century. The day after he seen the miracle of television like I said for the first time, Scoot come rushing over to my house all perplexalated. "Harvey Lee,"he said. "Mr. Woody said last night we was going to have isolated showers today." "Yeah," I said. "I seen it too." "And this is June ain't it" he continued. "Yeah, it's sure enough June," I said. "Well don't isolated showers mean it's gonna sleet." We have isolated showers called for tomorrow. I wish there were a little sleet mixed up in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment