Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Who Stayed Home

When I look back on it there warn't to many menfolks what stayed home from the war. And the ones what did worked important jobs for the war effort. I only knowed one woman what went off to the service and that were Merlene Jones. She could type real good, I reckon over 200 works a minute from what they said.
So she come in real handy for the army. But I'm mostly taking about them what stayed home and that were boys (too young to be sent off,) mens (too old,) and mens what was hurt in some way. I heard one man couldn't go 'cause he had flat feet. I ain't too sure about that though. Those what stayed home all worked in some job to keep the country going and come home at night and worked until dark in what we called victory gardens. Like I said we already had a garden and it were bigger than most peoples' victory gardens.
My mama took a job down at the garment mill. They switched over from making mens' shirts to making uniforms and even had a section what made gauze for dressing war wounds. That's where my mama worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment