Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, June 27, 2011

My Daddy Goes to War

I had to run down to the depot to leave a check for a couple of bricks in the sidewalk with a couple of my uncles' names on 'em. They got a old engine, one of 'em what used coal, sitting on show right out side the station. It got me thinking about the day so long ago when my daddy climbed on a troop train and headed off to World War II. I warn't more than ten year old, but I remember it good. He warn't wearing no uniform yet 'cause he had to check in at a base somewheres we couldn't know about. Lots a peoples was there 'cause they had husbands and daddies heading off too. Me and mama was there to say goodbye but grandma and grandpa stayed at home and kept my little brother. I remember daddy laughing and mama smiling too like he were just going to New Orleans for the day or something. I learned later they was just being brave for me. And it worked too cause I don't think I cried or nothing. Yeah, I remember how happy they seemed because that were the last time I remember either one of them that happy.
Tomorrow: Keeping the Home Fires Lit

No comments:

Post a Comment