Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Cotton Picking Relatives


Somebody from one of them foreign countries what has tuned in to my blog asked me if I ever picked any cotton. The answer are no. But I had a bunch of ancestors what did. We even got pictures showing my grandpa and grandma and a bunch of their kids working out in the fields. When I were little we had a cotton gin here in Harper and peoples from out in the county would drive trucks loaded with the white stuff up under this shed. They had a long sucker what looked like a extra large elephant's trunk what hung down out of the ceiling. When the truck were under it it sucked all the cotton up and over to the machine what took all the cotton seeds out of it. The man what run the sucker didn't have but one arm and the story what went around about him were his arm were sucked off by the cotton sucker. When I were grown I found out this warn't true. He lost his arm from a hand grenade in World War I. Ain't it funny how stories get started?

No comments:

Post a Comment