Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, February 4, 2011

Dorothy

We iced in. It just ain't natural all this ice and snow in Southwest Mississippi. Why, when I was a boy if we seen snow once ever ten years it was something. They say it's gonna warm up. Dorothy didn't open the cafe today. She had to close it twice last year, but just for a day or two. I don't reckon I had much to say about Dorothy yet. She's a real important part of my life, but we ain't got no romance going or nothing like that. Dorothy lives with her mother who had a stroke about six years ago so she needs a lot of attention. And Dorothy is just the one to see to that. They got this woman Lawanda who comes in every day except Sunday and tends to Mrs. Smith. That's Dorothy's mother's name, Smith. Me and Dorothy been knowing each other since she was a little girl. She used to come into the grocery store where I worked stocking shelves and bagging groceries when I quit school in grade seven and one half. She warn't but a little girl come in holding her mama's hand or riding on the top of the cart. Her mama run the cafe back then. I reckon that's one reason we ain't got too romantic since I has knowed her when she was just a baby.
Tomorrow: Dorothy Sticks By Me

No comments:

Post a Comment