Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Watching Grandpa Pass From Coney's Grill

I think y'all remember me telling y'all Harper was a railroad town. That's because a bunch of the people who lives here works for the railroad. The town where the railroad shops is located is about ten miles from here in a different county. So when grandpa was scheduled to come through Harper on his way to the getting off place, me and my grandma would go down to this place called Coney's Grill to watch him pass by. Coney's warn't a real classy place, as I remember, but it had outside tables where peoples ate when the weather were good. You had to buy something to sit there so grandma would get me a hotdog and a coke and she would just get herself a RC Cola (that were her favorite drink) and we would take our place outside and wait. The railroad tracks ran just a few feet from this waist-high wall old man Coney had built so we could see real good. When the train passed us grandpa would blow the whistle, stick his head out the window, and wave like crazy. I was just a little fellow and it gave me a thrill ever time grandma took me to Coney's.
Tomorrow: The Railroad Storehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment