Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, February 14, 2011

We Take Miz Mildred to Massengill's Nursing Home

If anything would seal my wish to die with my boots on, it would be my visit to the nursing home. We, me and Dorothy, was taking her mama there to stay for who knows how long. The thing what first hit me was the smells. They kept changing from pee smells, to poo smells, to the worse smell of all: the smell of the stuff they was spraying all around to cover up the other smells. It took about an hour just to get her checked in and all that while she was sitting in a wheelchair with no things to hold up her feets. I could tell she was real down about being shipped off to this perfume parlor, but I couldn't think of a thing to say to make her feel better.
We finally got her to her room and it warn't too bad. When she was in her bed she seemed to be more at home with the circumstances. We stayed until her supper come. It warn't too delicious looking compared to what Dorothy puts out. As we was leaving Miz Mildred didn't want to let go of Dorothy's hand and she said in a pitiful voice, "Y'all will come back to see me, won't you." Dorothy was a little taken back and she said, "Of course, mama." On the way home I seen all these valentine pictures in the store windows and I pulled in to the Hot-Digidy-Dog and bought Dorothy a nice valentine supper.
Tomorrow: Railroad Memories

No comments:

Post a Comment