Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gwin Turn

Like I said, my grandpa were a engineer on the railroad. They had what they call a call-boy and he would get on his bicycle and come to the house of the engineer and let him know he was next to go out on a trip. It may be a trip to a city pretty far off and then the engineer would stay overnight in a hotel where a lot of railroad mens stayed. But the trip grandpa always liked to get was called the Gwin turn. It were a trip to this little town up yonder north of Jackson and a return trip right away, so there warn't no staying over night. My grandma loved that trip too. When grandpa would come in from his run, grandma would have a big supper ready for him. She would fix things like chicken and dumplings, fried chicken, skillet steak, and catfish fillets. Of course, she always had vegetables from out of her victory garden. I reckon it was just a garden until the war come up and they started calling it a victory garden. I liked the Gwin turn too, because it meant I could hear some of my grandpa's opera music. When he were out all we heard was Ernest Tubb and Kitty Wells.
Tomorrow: Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment