Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, February 28, 2011

Baseball

When I were coming up baseball were real important to all of us. In the big leagues, most of us pulled for the St. Louis Cardinals. We loved Dizzy Dean when he was pitching and when he got hurt we loved to hear him talk on the radio. He didn't like to fly and often he were at the depot right here catching the train to Chicago or somewheres else. A notch down, were what we called semi-pro baseball. I had three uncles what played semi-pro and one year when I were six or seven they won the Mississippi state championship. They was all good and my mama said that at least one of 'em would have made the big leagues if it warn't for WWII. We didn't have no Little League back then, but we could get a game together in a few minutes on the school ground or church back lot. I were a fielder and were good at hitting. I warn't too good at throwing and had to practice a lot to throw straight from the outfield to the catcher. I reckon if I'd put my mind to it I could have been good as my uncles, but I liked the money I made at the Neighborhood Pantry
Grocery Store and spent all my time bagging up peoples meat and vegetables. Sometimes I wish I would have paid more attention to baseball.
Tomorrow: Football

No comments:

Post a Comment