Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Sunday, February 27, 2011

How Me and Bethel Met

If y'all want to go back to the September 14th post, you can see the story I used to tell about how me and Bethel first met. This warn't a true story and I just told it to fun around with Bethel. We really met when Bethel come in to Harper to stay with her grandparents. Her daddy were sent off to the Pacific with the navy and her mama went to a town in Louisiana to work in a munitions plant. Bethel were a couple of years younger'n me, but was only one grade behind me. I had to repeat the second grade because I had the mumps, two kinds of measles, and double pneumonia all in one year. I don't think I had any disease after that. I just had 'em all in one year. Bethel were real smart and I walked her home from school a few days after I met her and ever day after that until I dropped out in grade seven and one-half. It warn't too long till Bethel were helping me with my homework. She had me using real good grammar and talking right. You see, my folks all talked better English than  me, but it was all my storytelling and going hunting with my friends what got me talking like I do. I ain't gonna change. Ain't got no reason to. If Bethel were still here I would. But she ain't. And that's a fact.
Tomorrow: Baseball

No comments:

Post a Comment