Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Roundhouse

Like I said my grandpa was a engineer on the railroad. Back during the depression when I was just coming up, he taken me down to the railroad shops where he got on his trains. Right in the middle they had this big house they called it the roundhouse because it were as round as could be. Inside the roundhouse were this big table with tracks on it. They was eight or so tracks coming from all directions up to the turntable and grandpa and me was on the engine and pulled up on one set of tracks. They had the table set to take us on it and we proceeded to move right on, so neither the front nor rear of the engine was sticking off. Then this man who was the turner pushed some levers and the table turned until we got to another set of tracks. Grandpa got the signal that we was set and put that engine to chugging its way off that table and out of the roundhouse headed in a whole different direction. He stopped the engine and took me down to grandma who taken me off toward the depot. We watched grandpa back that engine up till he connected with a whole bunch of railway car that was just waiting for him. I must have been five or six and I'll never forget it.
Tomorrow: Watching Grandpa Pass Coney's Grill

No comments:

Post a Comment