Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Monday, February 21, 2011

Sugar Bowl

One of the place we would go on the train were to the Sugar Bowl Game in New Orleans. The first one I remember going to was in 1947. I were about fourteen year old. Georgia whooped North Carolina. Over the years I went most ever year. We would catch a early train down and get off at the Carrolton Avenue Station and catch a streetcar to some street where we had to walk from. They had more peoples at them games than I ever seen. After the game we went to this little cafe; it warn't one of them famous restaurants you hear about, but New Orleans is full of good places to eat. I used to like to eat raw oysters a lot and this little place had three mens at the counter shucking 'em as fast as they could. What made them so good was this hot sauce you put on 'em. The story about a man tying a string on a oyster and swallowing it and pulling it back and swallowing it over and over again just ain't true. Makes a good story though. After I got married to Bethel and was called up to Korea, I ain't never been back to the Sugar Bowl. Now I just watch it on TV.
Tomorrow: Gwin Turn

No comments:

Post a Comment