Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Trixie Fills Me In

I can't say I thought a lot about Trixie since she run off with that tent preacher. I was kinda between: how could she do this to me and good riddance. Good riddance gradually took over the whole deal. So when I looked up and seen her walking across my yard wearing that lime green pants suit with orange shoes I kinda lost my breath for a second. What was she doing here? I soon found out. Last time she come home things hadn't worked out with that revival man and he packed up his tent and piano and leaflets and headed to Oklahoma. When she come back to Harper and tried to take up where she left off with me, I said no dice. Trixie went back to  Texas and taken up a job selling beer and whiskey to hard working men. I reckon I figured she warn't having no problem finding her a man, but I was wrong. Most of the mens had seen her handing out song books and taking up collection for her tent man and they were scared to fool with her. Kinda like getting struck by lightning or something. One new fellow in that town did try to get in with her and they went out one night and he got hit by a sixteen wheeler and was broke up real bad. He lived if that's what you want to call it. So this cemented the wall between Trixie and all the mens in town.
She had come running back to me wanting me to put her up for a while. Just till she got her feet on the ground. I come to a compromise with myself. I let her stay in the cabin while I was up at the big house.
Tomorrow: Storms, Cold, and Trixie

Hollis' funny name of the day:
Marge Enwright writes all over the page
(this concludes Hollis' funny names for a while. There are names left on my list, but they are rated "R" and Uncle Harvey Lee, even though he doesn't know what they mean, would not approve when I told him the nature of the humor. Sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment