Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, February 25, 2011

Troop Trains

One of my first memories of the trains was the soldiers riding to and from their duty. This started even before WWII. And boy, when the war really hit most of the cars was filled with military peoples. When my daddy went off, mama and me was there to send him on his way. Mama didn't shed a tear; she just stood there and watched the train till it were out of sight. Then we went home and begun our war days. Things was pretty tough, for we all was sharing in the war effort. We had to have a ration coupon before we could get anything and somethings didn't have no coupon cause there was what they called shortages. At school we had paper drives and metal drives (even toothpaste tubes was needed.) One of the big boys at school fooled me for a while telling me the peoples what collected the tubes would fill them back up with toothpaste, but my grandma told me different, so the next time I just laughed when he told me that like it were the funniest joke in the world. We couldn't always get a train ride when we needed it cause the soldier  boys had first shot. That's how it should be. We, mama and me, was there when daddy come home on a train. When he climbed down, the look on his face told me he warn't the same as when he left. And he never were the same again.
Tomorrow: While Daddy Were Away

No comments:

Post a Comment