Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Football

Football were harder to play in one way and easier in another. It were harder because we always played tackle and we didn't have no pads and stuff. It were easy cause all you really needed were a football and a field. Baseball needed all kinds of stuff and the field had to be marked up real good for bases and home runs and all kinds of things. Over the years the local high schools had some real good teams. One town in the county just south of here won the state championship a couple of times when I were coming up. I got to go to a lot of games cause my daddy were a referee and let me ride in with him and sit in the stands while he did his field work. Back then there warn't no mixing of the races and the Afro-American kids played on Thursday nights and the white kids played on Friday nights. We could go to the Thursday night games, but they couldn't come on Fridays. Huh? I really got in to going to as many college games as I could. I went to see Tulane, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and once to a Alabama home game. The fans for all these schools were real devoted to their team; just like today. We had one kid in Harper who warn't into football or any kind of ball for that matter. He got a football for Christmas (I reckon his daddy wanted him to like it.) I guess his daddy didn't know much about football either cause the ball were white. He would bring it out and play with us cause he didn't want his ball to get dirty. I wonder what ever happen to that boy.
Tomorrow: Dorothy's Mama Get Worse

No comments:

Post a Comment