Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Dorothy Says No

Dorothy told me she didn't reckon she could take me up on my offer for her to move into the big house and me stay down at my lake house. She said it would be real good for her to do that, but peoples around here would never let up on talking about it. She reminded me about that preacher several years ago that packed up and moved to another church when the local members here gave him a hard time. Seems he and his wife and a deacon and his wife went out to the creek for a picnic. The preacher had a cast on his leg and the deacon's wife had a bad cold, so the deacon and the preacher's wife was the only two what went in swimming. Some church members was passing over the bridge and could look down on the couples from up there. They spread it all over the church and by the next day they was calls for the preacher to resign. They called it: Mixed Bathing!!! I wanted it writ that way so y'all could read it loud and clear. Well the preacher who was one of the best we ever had didn't fight it. He just left. I have heard real good things about him in his new church. The preacher they got were just right for them. He were so ugly nobody was gonna accuse him of being mixed in anything. I told Dorothy I seen what she meant.
Tomorrow: Dorothy, the Early Years

No comments:

Post a Comment