Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Friday, March 11, 2011

Pete Patton and the Foul Ball

Pete Patton were a grade behind me at the Harper School and he were about the dumbest knot head you ever seen. He started out a grade ahead of me but by the time we was six graders he were just a fifth grader. One day after school we was all funning around and walked past these older boys playing baseball.
Pete started making fun of the batter telling him he couldn't hit nothing and the guy whose name were Billy Jarvone must've got real mad cause the next pitch coming to him he swung at it like he were gonna send it into the next county. Only thing was he hit it foul. And he hit it right toward Pete and hit him square between the eyes. It knocked Pete out and they taken him to the hospital with a brain percussion. He were out for four days. When he woked up the first thing he said were, "I couldn't figure out why the ball were getting bigger and then it hit me." Well, after he come home he was always saying cleaver things like that and went on to graduate high school and college and enter law school. Now he's a politician living somewhere up north and he's running for governor of the state where he lives. My daddy used to always say he were gonna knock some sense into me. I reckon I should have stood closer to home plate when I were playing ball.
Tomorrow: First Sign of Spring in Harper

Hollis' book of the day:
My Antonia - You can come home again, only it's not really there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment