Harper Lake

Harper Lake

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fishing With the New Catholic Priest

I reckon I told y'all 'bout how all the churches around here is after me to join up with them. I used to go to the Harper Baptist when I were married to Bethel and to the Catholic Church when I were married to Mary Kate. Trixie, my third wife, didn't get after me to go to just one church. She liked to jump around particular when they was having a revival. I'm sure you remember Trixie were the one what run off with the tent preacher. Well the Catholics is after me again. They got a new priest and he likes to go fishing with me. He ain't put a lot of pressure on me cause I give right regular to his church anyhow (and some other too.) I stayed a Catholic of a year or two after Mary Kate warn't around no more. She got hit by a streetcar in New Orleans. The new priest is Father Mulligan. He is originally from up in Boston. I think he is having a hard time getting adjusted to life in the Harper area. I told him he were lucky he could be a missionary over in Africa or somewheres. He said, "You know that's not a bad idea. A missionary. Hmmm." I may have opened a barrel of worms.
Tomorrow: The Father Lands a Big One

Hollis' book read in 2010:
The Portrait of a Lady - You may as well marry for money

1 comment:

  1. I like the book title. The woman that cleaned for us growing up used to tell me, "It's just as easy to fall in love with a rich one and a poor one."

    ReplyDelete